Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Another Day, Another Doctor

I took Eric down to MGH to see his pulmonologist today on the T. For some reason, I brainfarted and went down Somerville Ave instead of Beacon Street. This takes longer and I know this. But I didn't get much sleep last night and, well, I am not firing on all pistons. I'm a few pancakes short of a stack. I'm a couple of tacos short of a combination plate. Etc.

They moved the Pediatric Allergy and Pulmonology office into a much smaller space in a new building. The wait was GAWDAWFUL. The old office had a huge carpeted waiting area, complete with toys, books and space to move around. This one was smaller than my living room and was almost completely filled with chairs. The only entertainment was a water cooler. And you can imagine how fun that was with an 18 month old and a 4 year old. Much water was strewn about during our hour long wait.

The doctor was very despondent about his new digs as well. But he seemed resigned to it. I had an interesting conversation with him about Eric's recent trip to the ER. It probably could have been prevented if the pulmonologist I spoke to had engaged with me and gone through the specific symptoms. I said he was probably afraid of getting sued.

His whole demeanor changed at that point. Eric's pulmonologist is old school. He looks like Mr. Rogers with little round glasses. He's a GREAT doctor, he's kind and knowledgeable and has given me all the tools we need to keep Eric from getting admitted to the hospital. "People who are risk averse should not go into medicine. I am NOT going to let some lawyer," he spat the word out like it was covered in excrement, "tell me how to run my practice."

He also confirmed what I suspected about the recent epidemic of anyphalictic milk and egg allergies. He thinks the whole thing is blown way out of proportion and those allergies are not nearly as dangerous as allergists convince parents they are. (He's an allergist/pulmonologist) The allergists are treating the kids in the manner that will least likely end in a lawsuit, as opposed to what's actually logical and best for the kids.

So, the wait at the doctor was rotten, but the doctor was totally worth it. The T was kind of fun. We rode the spiffy new elevators at Charles Street. That area is so much more convenient for pedestrians than it used to be. Two minutes from the T, you're right at the hospital.

But all in all, I'm glad I'm done with Eric's doctor's appointments until December. After that hopefully we'll be done until next September.

I give a tentative W00T! on that one.


Post a Comment

<< Home